Pages

Saturday, May 21, 2011

No More Teachers, No More Books........

I know that at this point all anyone can think about is SUMMER, but I'm going to attempt to start a conversation about the exact opposite: school. While looking for summer voulenteering opportunities, I stumbled across the Sunset Sudbury School. As I explored the website (http://sunsetsudbury.org/) I discovered that this was no ordinary program. At Sunset Sudbury there is no curriculum. I know it's unbelievable, but it's true. This school lets its students do whatever they like, and I do mean ANYTHING. If the students want to play video games all day, that's what they do. If they want to run around all day, that's what they do. Of course this means if they want to study rocket science or find the cure for cancer, they could do this too. The school's theory is that "students become inspired and passionate about learning. Because they have chosen their activities, they are genuinely interested and motivated to pursue an interest to its completion (as determined by them alone)." They say skills in reading, writing, math, etc. will "develop organically, not necessarily through a planned process." In addition, students are not separated into grade levels, they can come and go as they want as long as they're in school for five hours every day, there are no grades, standardized testing is not mandatory, and all rules "for day-to-day life" are voted on by the entire school, students included. According to the website, students can and do go to college. What do you think about this kind of education compared with how we are being taught? How do you think you would fair in this type of environment?

Lauren Goboff
Period 3

5 comments:

  1. Call me a cynic, but I think the school is too idealistic.
    Noah Yudewitz
    Pd. 6

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Noah. I also think it's partly a scam. I mean $6,600 for letting the student do whatever he/she wants? I don't think so...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not the only school like this, either. There are schools with this philosophy around the world. Not many, but they're there. I watched a few videos on this (the school was featured on NBC News: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQ6nmnZV8A), and there are some families who strongly believe in this program. I just found it all so fascinating. I kind of want to volunteer there just so I can study them. Is that creepy?
    Lauren G.
    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think the students should necessarily be given so much power. It is not likely someone can develop all of their math skills naturally either. However, I actually think it is a good idea if the child who gets enrolled in this school wants to study something that can benefit society and has the ability to follow through with their goals could potentially be good for society.
    Noah Yudewitz
    Period 6

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't agree with this much freedom. I would like to see a school where students have some input, but certain curriculum and standards are a must. Also, students do not necessarily have the life skills to determine what set of social rules are in their best interest.

    ReplyDelete

Always remember to use proper writing conventions when posting a comment on this blog! Please include your LA PERIOD, first name, and initial of last name, so I know who you are!