Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Studying Smarter

I just came across the article on my Facebook newsfeed: Better Ways to Learn.  I totally thought I was going to gain new information on how to study and the best ways to learn and retain information.

There was something new.  I've always been a believer in the study session, and I'm surprised to see that research shows it may not be as effective as I thought.
For starters, long and focused study sessions may seem productive, but chances are you are spending most of your brainpower on trying to maintain your concentration for a long period of time. That doesn’t leave a lot of brain energy for learning.

However, there is some research that supports what I've come to realize over the years.  Here is one strategy I always try to instill in my own kids:
One way to signal to the brain that information is important is to talk about it. Ask a young student to play “teacher” based on the information they have studied. Self-testing and writing down information on flashcards also reinforces learning.

Read the article.  Does it change anything you believe about learning? Will you change your habits in any way?  Comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always remember to use proper writing conventions when posting a comment on this blog! Please include your LA PERIOD, first name, and initial of last name, so I know who you are!