Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Out with the old, in with the new. (Guest blogger: Tyler Levinson)

      As this is an English blog, I will write about literature. Thoughout my school life, I have been forced to read many "classic" novels, such as Catcher in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird, Animal Farm, and A Midsummer Night's Dream. While these novels do have modern appeal, they are not very relatable to today's youth (and if you can relate to Holden Caulfield, I pity you). I feel that novels that are considered "Modern Classics" would be more relatable to today's youth readers, and because they are more relatable, students will better understand the themes and emotions that are being conveyed.
      Now, I am not saying we should do away with timeless classics from such writers as Shakespeare, Steinbeck, and Hemingway, I am just saying that we could cut out some of the literary fat (i.e. Nothing but the Truth and Tangerine).
      If you were on the school board, what modern classic would pick to replace Nothing but the Truth or Tangerine and why? Remember, the book should be relatable for guys and girls and be school appropriate.

Tyler Levinson